I had some nice scrap pine left over from an earlier project, so I thought I’d do a quick and fun project to act as wall art for my office. The concept was to do an inverted wood carving of the Star Wars Rebel Legion logo.
After a quick Google search, I found a nice logo online and manipulated it inside Inkscape to convert it from an image to a path file. I imported it into the X-Carve Easel software and adjusted the size and cut depth. By carving away the background, it will make the logo pop out and give a nice 3D effect.
I selected a 1/8″ upcut fishtail bit. It leaves a nice clean surface without grooves, and was a nice compromise on clearing wood fast and getting good detail (especially inside the acute angles at the top).
Carving took longer than I expected due to the many passes required to carve down 1/4″, but the slow and steady progress resulted in a nice, clean piece with minimal post-carve clean-up required.
I ran the top edges across a router to give a more finished look and then got to sanding. Multiple grits, wet/dry, etc. I did use a rifle file set to touch up some minor cosmetic items inside the cut area.
To finish, I used some left-over wood stain from an earlier project. The Star Wars Rebel colours are red and black, so I thought the red stain would look good without losing the natural grain of the wood. I like this stuff because it’s easy to apply with a foam brush and clean up (water, no chemicals).
After 3 coats of the Cinnamon dye, I had a nice, even red colour across the piece. I put a liberal amount of dye inside the cut area in hopes that it would be darker, but it dried the same colour as the top. So, I decided to apply some black paint into the carved area to get the effect I was seeking.
I had a big bottle of acrylic paint (not ideal, but it is what I had on-hand), and used a small, stiff brush to carefully paint inside the cut area.
Finally, I finished the top with 2 coats of High Performance Satin finish to give it a bit of protection and get a bit more shine.
I drilled some holes in the back to attach a hanger. It now proudly hangs on my office wall. I especially like how the wood grain gives a gradient effect to the color. Total project build effort was about 8-10 hours spread out over 3 weekends.